Saturday, May 31, 2008

Turtle Kills Phone

There is always something interesting that happens on vacation. You can have the benefit of a chuckle at my expense.

Tricia’s mother would never let them have real pets when they were growing up. The only pets they could have were a turtle and I think her mother once went out on a limb and allowed her to have a hamster but he met a mysterious death.

Enough background, Tricia decided she would relive her childhood and bring her sister a pet turtle from Texas. We have been babying this turtle for about a month. He has a Tupperware home with a few rocks and about a quarter of an inch of water. Seemed like a nice thing to do for five dollars.

We had traveled about six hundred miles when I pulled my phone out to see if we could make find a place to stay for the night. It was after this that Murphy's Law kicked in. Coming upon a major traffic slow down I applied my breaks and my phone flew off the console like a downhill skier and of course landed in the only problematic spot in the van; the turtle habitat.

I have comfort in knowing my phone met a speedy death. Only a few flickers that reminded me of the lights on my Christmas tree and it was gone. However, the turtle is a much more expensive gift now. 

No comments: