Friday, May 23, 2008

Believe You Will Get Results

A friend of mind recently pointed out this quote to me. "I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done...Henry Ford". Reminds me of the question, What would you do if you knew you could not fail?” Robert H. Schuller". Which reminds me of  Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
NASB : 1995 Update 

This whole thought begs the question, "What am I doing in my life where I have to be totally dependent upon Jesus for the results?" 

If you were wondering where chaos looms large I think it is right here. Order seldom provokes creativity but chaos will send you right out to the cutting edge. Jump back to Henry Ford for a second. He was looking for men or women with an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done. Henry, sounds like he was my close friend when I only say Henry, also said, "If you think you can do a thing, you're right or if you think you can't do a thing, you're right."

It's not always easy but I want to live my life attempting new things, going new places.  I want to be a vessel that God could choose to use for something out of the ordinary. I don't want mediocrity, lukewarm, ordinary or common. Passion is the desire to make your dreams a reality. Any time that I can spend defining my passions is time well spent. 

Joshua 1:8 urges me to reflect on the Word day and night. Now if I mix an infinite capacity to not know what cannot be done (chaos) with a healthy dose of time in the Word (order) it seems that I might be able to enter The Chaordic Zone! Shouldn't we all test the waters here? "The world has yet to see what God can do through a man/woman who is totally commited to him." - D.L. Moody
Just remember the nemesis to the "Chaordic Zone" is the "Spotlight Effect". Psychologists have shown that the "spotlight effect," as they call it, is a universal experience that distorts our egocentric notion about the degree to which people in groups, like parties and work gatherings, pay attention to us. 

In other words the prescription should read like this; mix an infinite capacity to not know what cannot be done (chaos) with a healthy dose of time in the Word (order), less all of that time you spend admiring yourself in the mirror. Focus not on what you can do for yourself but on what you can to for your Savior!


—Benedict Carey is credited for creating the term "spotlight effect", "It's not all about you," Los Angeles Times, January 13, 2002

No comments: