Monday, June 9, 2008

To the extent that you did it to one of the least of these

Tricia and I often go down to the pool at our apartment complex and talk. We cover everything from family to food, Bible to baseball and politics to pets. You name it and we might be talking about it but this morning it was pets. She was telling me about visiting the re-pet store with her sister. (The same sister, Bobbie Jo, that now has the pet turtle that killed my phone).  Their mother not allowing them to have pets has forever warped them but each of them is now in pet recovery and has a dog.

On their outing together they stopped by the Re-pet store. The Re-pet store is a humane society type place trying to save dogs and cats from their death at the pound. Tricia was describing the visit to me. Entering the store there is a large sign that reads, “When you come into our house please be ready to love one of us. We cannot have one of our friends from the dog pound come here if you do not take one of us home with you.”

Each dog also has a sign on their cage. This is Charlie. Fleas have eaten his ears. Grape size ticks have fallen off his body. This ole boy has had a hard life but he is starting to recover. He is starting to come over in the morning and allow us to pat his head. He will be a great companion to you.

My name is Freddie and my family could not afford me but at least they had enough sense to give me up. I would love to go home with you.

My name is Doris and I have been terribly mistreated. Fleas were so bad at my home I lost part of my ear but I have now been cleaned up and would make a great pet. I am very loving and will make a great friend.

I was thinking church might be a lot easier if visitors came in with signs around their necks.

Hi I’m Bob and my wife died of cancer and I don’t have any friends. Would you be willing to get to know me?

My name is Allen and I lost my job and I am scared I might lose my home. We are having trouble making ends meet. Would you be willing to talk to me and offer me some encouragement?

My kids are making poor decisions and I have no idea what to do. I am here this morning to pray for them but I am not sure where to begin. Would you be willing to help me?

My life has been made up of one poor decision after another. I desperately need to make some changes and I am taking the first step this morning by going to church. I am out of my element and very uncomfortable. Would someone please ask me to sit with them?

Truth is people entering our church have all kinds of needs and it is important that we take the time to get to know them. Jesus has given us the wonderful opportunity of demonstrating his love; unfortunately people do not come in wearing signs but they do come in carrying burdens. Jesus loves each one of them and wants to have a relationship with them. Wouldn’t it be great if our life was a billboard that read, "Don’t hesitate to ask me anything, I am a sinner saved by grace.  I would love to have you sit with me so I can introduce you to others that understand your situation perfectly. Sit with me this morning so we can learn together. I don’t know what your journey has been but I would love to spend some time with you and get to know you better."

Jesus had some instructions on this topic in Matthew 25:35-40.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. All of it. I am married to Tricia's sister, and there was a definite prejudice against animals as they grew up. It took me at least ten years to get Bobbie Jo to accept and even pet my dog Salem. But that isn't really the reason that I decided to write back to Ed's Blog. So many times, without thinking, people will walk past others and create a first impression opinion of the individual they just passed. Not knowing anything about them. Whether it is the pauper on the street or the individual driving the Mercedes. The first would have a tag that says "I'm going through a tough time". While the second tag may say "I'm doing pretty well". But as much as the tag would help, so would closing our eyes. Oh, if we could only see and greet all with an open heart and our eyes wide shut. Easy to say but hard to do, I know. I am human too. I think if I were on a shelf in a store, my tag might say: Hi, I'm Darrel, I've seen the quicksand at the bottom of the valleys and I've also danced on the mountain tops. And through all of the ups and downs, I have learned that it is not where you are in the journey, but the journey itself. Take me home with you and we'll talk about my experiences and mistakes. Maybe my journey will help you on yours.
On a personal note: Thanks Ed, you have been there when it seemed like the quicksand was winning.