Friday, May 16, 2008

Chaordic Zone

The title of the blog, Chaordic Zone, is a term that I learned in Leonard Sweet's book, Soul Tsunami. He credits Dee Hock creator of the trillion-dollar Visa credit-card empire with actually coining the term. I love wordsmiths that come up with words or descriptions that just make sense. Doesn't make sense to you yet? Allow me to explain. When you take the word chaos and order and you merge the terms together you get "chaordic". When you get these terms to overlap you have the best of both worlds and chaordic leaders see change and chaos as their friends, not enemies. 

Change has been a topic that has consumed my attention for the last few years. Change is not necessarily a term that is synonymous with church. Well I have heard a few people say they love change. The conversation begins and ends with a statement like this..."I love change; you go first." Ok, I am exaggerating a little, but churches don't have change encoded into their DNA. However, this is beginning to change and I am very excited about it. 

Back to the title of the blog, Chaordic Zone. I love it. Wish I had coined it. I didn't but I do want too embrace it. I am not ready to throw out order but I think a healthy mix of chaos goes a long way in keeping everything looking like the early church. Necessity is the mother of invention, discipline is a recipe for success, the first step to getting what you want out of life is deciding what you want and if you want to see church growth you have to enter the "CHAORDIC ZONE". Now say that again like you are introducing a science fiction movie.




No comments: